Frequently Asked Questions
- What is this?
- Wasn't that the framework on the TouchPad?
- How is Enyo organized?
- What platforms does Enyo work on?
- Is Enyo just for mobile?
- Can I use Enyo to build hosted web apps?
- Can I use Enyo to build packaged apps for iOS? Android? Chrome?
- What license is Enyo released under?
- How do I download Enyo?
- How do I get support?
What is this?
Oh yeah, Enyo — wasn't that the framework on the Touchpad?
Why yes, it was. Enyo 1 was the framework underlying the applications on HP’s TouchPad, with hundreds of apps including the stock applications built using Enyo.
Enyo 2, released in January 2012, was the next step in the evolution of Enyo. Enyo has continued to evolve through successive releases.
How is Enyo organized?
Wth the changes to a CommonJS-style module system, Enyo is comprised of modular packages that you can choose to include in your app:
- lib - All Enyo libraries should be placed in a folder called
- enyo - This is Enyo core, the heart of Enyo that provides the encapsulation and inheritance engine, event dispatching system, and a base UI library that can be built upon for creating custom UI widget sets.(Required)
- moonstone - The Moonstone library provides a toolbox of beautifully-styled UI components for building applications. Specially designed and optimized for TV-based apps.
- onyx - The initial cross-platform UI set with styling based on the user interface that shipped on the Touchpad.
- layout - A set of cross- platform components used for laying out UI elements, such as fittable rows and columns that cover common use cases for app layout.
- canvas A package with components for building HTML5 canvas-based applications.
What platforms does Enyo work on?
Enyo works on any platform with a modern web runtime.
Is Enyo just for mobile?
No, Enyo’s purpose in life is to make it easier for you to build and maintain HTML5 applications of any size and complexity, whether you’re targeting phones, tablets, PCs, or other form factors. Over time, you can expect to see Enyo add-ons that are specialized for various purposes, but the Enyo core will remain broadly applicable.
Can I use Enyo to build hosted web apps?
Can I use Enyo to build packaged apps for iOS? Android? Chrome?
Yes. In the case of iOS, Android and other mobile platforms, you’ll need to wrap your Enyo app in a native “shell.” The easiest way to do that is to use Cordova, which also gives your app access to various native capabilities on each platform.
What license is Enyo released under?
Enyo is released under the Apache 2.0 license.
How do I download Enyo?
Check out our Get Enyo page!
How do I get support?
Visit the Enyo forums to get support from the Enyo team and fellow developers.